At the end of last year, I was personally invited to help kick off and contribute to an AIPP Special Interest Group (SIG) focused on Birth Photography in Australia. The group is flourishing as passionate birth photographers around Australia join the AIPP’s goal to help promote standards of professionalism for this genre. There is a wealth of experience, backgrounds and insight within the group and with the guidance of the AIPP’s Executive Officer, we are able to delve right into the important issues and achieve beneficial outcomes.
We are currently collaborating on the following:
- Defining the contents of a specimen birth photography contract that will be reviewed by AIPP solicitors and available to all members.
- Creating a Standards of Practice / Code of Conduct appropriate for birth photography.
- Identifying ways of promoting the genre and building relationships with birth centred organisations.
- Defining the point of difference of an AIPP Accredited Professional Photographer providing birth photography services.
- Considering the genre in regards to the AIPP awards.
- Working on a dedicated Birth Photography website that serves as a resource to both client and photographer.
I’m so excited about what’s ahead for this genre I love so much. Those who know me, know I’m passionate about raising the bar and providing the best experience possible for each and every women who chooses to have her birth photographed. If you’re interested in learning more about the SIG or want to be involved, please contact me or head to the AIPP Blog. The AIPP are a fantastic organisation opening the doors to new endeavours and helping photographers bridge gaps often too vast to do so alone.