So, you’re interested in having a birth photographer document the arrival of your little one. I get many enquiries into my services, but the line of questioning I’m asked straight up is “How much do you charge?”, followed by “Are you available in ….?”.
I believe this is a standard consumer approach to enquiries across industries that have failed in educating their clients about the real value of their services. Also, considering birth photography is relatively unheard of by the masses, it’s quite understandable that people who might be interested in it simply don’t understand the full scope of its value to them.
I’ve pulled together a list of questions you should really ask when looking into engaging a birth photographer to suit YOU. Never underestimate the value of having a photographer you “click” with. Having that free-flowing connection will be reflected in the experience you share together along with the photographs you receive.
And if you’re a birth photographer reading this, I push you to be able to confidently answer every question with openness. It’s the best way to get the type of clients suited to you and your business and a great start to an open and honest client, photographer relationship.
- How many births have you photographed?
- What makes you different to other Birth Photographers?
- Do you offer maternity and newborn sessions also?
- When is the best time to book during pregnancy?
- Do you have insurance to photograph births?
- How far will you travel & how long does it take you to get to my hospital?
- What is your cancellation policy?
- What’s included in the booking fee?
- Do you offer payment plans?
- Do you offer a gift registry?
- Why have you chosen to offer the products you have available?
- How many images will I receive in the digital collections?
- How long will it take to receive my final order?
- When do you arrive for the birth and how long will you stay?
- What happens if you’re in attendance but labour stalls?
- Do you have a backup photographer and can we meet them?
- What happens if you don’t arrive before my baby is born?
- Do you already have a good rapport with the hospital staff, midwives and birth workers likely to be attending my birth?
- Are you aware of the policies surrounding photography at my hospital?
- What if I have a C-Section? Can I still have a birth photographer?
- I want shots of …… and ……. Can you show me examples of these shot’s I want to have at my birth?
- Why are some birth photographs bright, sharp and crisp while others are dark, soft and grainy?
- I am concerned about “private shots”; I don’t want graphic pictures, what assurances can you give me on this?
- Have you been in a situation when things go wrong, what did you do and how did you cope?
- What if I change my mind and don’t want the actual labour and birth documented, but I do want pictures of those special first hours?
- Will my images appear online anywhere – website, social media, etc?
- Is there anything we can do that makes the photography easier for you?
- Can we arrange a time to meet in person to discuss my expectations?